Ready to take the plunge into Linux and XML....

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Mon May 10 23:48:36 UTC 2010

Heather, as a linux convert of some 4 years ago, and as a former Windows
slave, I fully recommend upgrading to Ubuntu. The amount of control over
how your computer operates is wonderful - you'll find that you can make it
do what you want it to do, how you want it to do it, as opposed to Windows
doing what it thinks you want to do, and doing it however it likes.

However I would warn that there can, nay, will be difficult times when you
need to configure something somewhere to fix some serious issue (such as
an external wi-fi card not being supported immediately, or flash not
working unless you manually download and install it from Adobe). It will
require you to perform some actions in the terminal (Unix version of cmd).

But on the plus side, there is a huge support community of volunteers who
are always willing to help out Windows apostates. Firstly there are the
Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/) where you will likely get timely
advice, or if you're familiar with chatrooms, there's the #ubuntu channel
on the freenode IRC server (irc://chat.freenode.net/#ubuntu - needs an IRC
client, like ircle on a mac or babbel on both mac and windows). Here,
there are probably hundreds of users who tend to answer questions very
quickly.

I'd also suggest, if you want to keep windows, to run a dual-boot. The
configuration I had, which worked extraordinarily well for 3 years, was to
take my laptop hard drive and partition it into three drives, one for data
and the other two for the two operating systems, linux and windows. Both
can communicate with the data partition equally well, so the net effect is
that you can simply reboot in windows and go back to the file you were
just working on in linux and open it in a windows program. However this
configuration takes quite some setting up.

As for XML, you really should get a license for Oxygen, an XML editor. It
won't teach you about xml, W3schools is excellent for that, but it will
allow you to edit XML files without breaking the very delicate structure,
as it validates as you type, and produces errors and red squiggly lines
under ill-formed chunks.

-Aidan Wilson

--
Aidan Wilson