Robbed of their language and pride (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu May 27 19:09:24 UTC 2010

Robbed of their language and pride

By: Kevin Rollason
27/05/2010
Canada

DENNIS White Bird has been chief of the Rolling River First Nation and grand
chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

But long before that, White Bird was one of thousands of aboriginal children
who went to a residential school.

Like many other students, White Bird suffered physical abuse at the hands of
the nuns who were his teachers, when he followed in the steps of his
grandparents and parents and spent seven years at residential school.

"I didn't speak a word of English when I went to school, so I was severely
beaten by the nuns," White Bird told about 300 people gathered at The Forks
Oodena Celebration Circle on Wednesday during the Day of Healing and
Reconciliation for residential school survivors and their families.

Access full article below:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/robbed-of-their-language-and-pride-94999764.html