New plans for language overhaul (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Nov 3 19:10:26 UTC 2010

New plans for language overhaul

Aaron Beswick
Northern News Services
Published Monday, November 1, 2010

SOMBA K'E/YELLOWKNIFE - The Northwest Territories' aboriginal
languages are on course for extinction unless something changes.

The territorial government unveiled its plan on Wednesday for a course
change, listing 73 recommendations to "revitalize" the territory's
nine aboriginal languages.

"I've committed that all of them will be followed through on," said
Minister Responsible for Official Languages Jackson Lafferty. "The
potential for loss of a number of our languages is very high and is
likely to occur unless we work together to strengthen aboriginal
language use."

Speakers of nwt languages of 2009

English - 42,724
French - 3,915