FW: [ILAT] WeSay: software that helps people to build a dictionary

Dave Pearson dave_pearson at SIL.ORG
Wed Nov 17 12:41:43 UTC 2010

Dear Natalie,

You'll see below that Ross Webb, who ran the Vanuatu workshop, doesn't have
much to offer in the way of workshop documentation. There is a WeSay
discussion group at http://groups.google.com/group/wesay/topics. At first
glance it seems to be mostly about the software itself rather than how to
use it in a workshop. It might be worth browsing further, and you could join
it and ask if anybody in the group has any suggestions.

Dave

From: Director (Vanuatu) [mailto:director_vanuatu at sil.org]
Sent: 16 November 2010 22:04
To: 'Dave Pearson'
Subject: RE: [ILAT] WeSay: software that helps people to build a dictionary

Dear Dave,

No, I'm sorry I don't have any prepared course material for running a WeSay
workshop. My approach was very low key. Every participant had a computer
with WeSay pre-installed, including sample clipart for use in their
to-be-started dictionary. I used a data projector to demonstrate the use of
the program and merely followed the good documentation that came with WeSay.

The idea of online/digital dictionaries has crossed my mind so I would love
to hear other ideas on that. I have in mind a collaborative effort for
building a dictionary online by members of a particular language community
that has access. How it would be moderated, and whether in the end it would
be useful because of all the variant spelling, duplicated contribution etc,
I'm not sure, but I'd sure love to listen in on other's conversations in
that regard. That is about as far as my own thinking has come!

Sorry I don't have more to offer,

Ross

  _____