Tribe looks to keep language alive (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Nov 22 06:15:04 UTC 2010

Tribe looks to keep language alive

JUSTIN A. HINKLEY • THE ENQUIRER • NOVEMBER 20, 2010
USA

ATHENS — A dozen people sat quietly at the Community Center on Pine
Creek Reservation on Friday, listening to Don Perrot tell how their
ancestors treated a feast.

In the Potawatomi culture, elders and children eat first and the
strongest in the community eat last, Perrot explained, speaking first
in a tongue used by very few these days, and then translating it into
English.

"We each take our turn in that circle, in that wheel of life," he said.

The lesson was part of the Athens Township-based Nottawaseppi Huron
Band of Potawatomi's four-day "language immersion workshop."

Access full article below:
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20101120/NEWS01/11200308/Tribe-looks-to-keep-language-alive