suggestions anyone?

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Thu Nov 25 03:58:07 UTC 2010

Back when I was doing this I had no technology at all beyond a tape recorder
(not useful).  One thing I did was that I introduced the children to a
number of words I thought they might not know from a story, and then I would
read them the story in Jaqaru, always a story that would be immediately
recognizable (one of the ubiquitous Andean tales, known in every Andean
language including Spanish).  They loved it.  Another thing I did that the
children loved was that I would ask them what words they wanted written in
their own language ‹ and they always had plenty, usually the names of their
chacras (their cultivated plots).  These were never easy words and they were
always seriously distorted by the
Spanish version ‹ great learning activity because they wanted it so and
could take it home to the family.
MJ