indigenous language survival

Heather Souter hsouter at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 21 17:33:37 UTC 2010

Taanshi, Richard,

I am pondering your thoughts....  I wonder about many of the same things as
I do work on our language.  I worry that if we place such great a focus on
technology, all we will be left with are "holograms" of elders speaking our
languages.

I also often think about how to show the connection between our language,
our ways of thinking and the land to which we are related....   I wonder if
is not to start from the most basic and local--to think about all the things
that sustain us as peoples-starting from the most basic--food, family,
community, art/spirituality--and make sure that our languages are central to
them all.  It seems to me that our languages provide us with an
important--perhaps the most important?--way to keep and recreate an
internally cohesive identity in ways that are authentic to our cultures....
The question is how to do this effectively when we all now live embedded in
a dominant culture with dominant patterns of thought and ways of interacting
that are not just associated with one nation or region but  with global
reach?

Eekoshi pitamaa.
Heather