ILAT Digest - 20 Oct 2010 to 21 Oct 2010 (#2010-218)

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Sat Oct 23 16:19:28 UTC 2010

What you say is true, and I don't think any of us are asking that the
languages be "museumized", but working only from texts specifically
translated from another language does destroy a language.  Change must come
from within, and it does, and I have lived long enough to see internal
change in Jaqaru, and the elders rant about it just like ours do (the young
are corrupting the language -- I myself so say to my young'uns who leave the
aspiration off of where so it sounds like wear).  But that is different.
ALL complain about the translated texts.  Think about trying to read the
instructions in English from an imported gadget, directly translated from,
say Japanese.

The two problems are quite different & I heard Richard referring to the
latter, not the former.  Did I mishear?  MJ