ILAT Digest - 20 Oct 2010 to 21 Oct 2010 (#2010-218)

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Sat Oct 23 18:18:00 UTC 2010

Ah, yes, I did hear you correctly.  Agreed.

On a purely linguistic level, there is also, as hinted at in your original
post, the issue of importing massive nouns into, e.g., a verb-based language
and thus doing just what you are saying below: things become the focus.  In
organic change, importations may be nouns in the original language but turn
into verbs if organically borrowed, not imposed by, say, a Ministry.

Thanks, as always.  I hope I recover; chancy but possible.  MJ