simple transfer from vhs to dvd - hope simple

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 2 18:59:18 UTC 2010

To follow along with Jessica's excellent suggestion, I was thinking that if
you only need the audio content from the VHS there may be a simple
solution.

Have you ever noticed that most VHS players have a three prong connection
yellow (video), white (L Audio) and red audio (R Audio)?  These are called
RCA interconnectors.  You may be able to connect with the RCA "audio out"
from your VHS to an "audio in" or "mic" connection to your computer.  I
can't recall at the moment which of these three is a single output as
audio.  Anybody?  In any case, you might even see a "line out" on your VHS
player, maybe in the back.

Basic steps to capturing VHS audio.

What you will need is Audacity (freeware).  Just do a Google search using
the Audacity keyword and you will find it easy.  Download Audacity.

Next, you will need a "RCA to 1/4" Phone" cable and a 1/4" to "miniplug"
adapter (or 1/4" to 1/8").  The miniplug adapter will allow you to connect
directly to your computer "mic" (audio in).  I order all my stuff from B&H
out of New York.   Who knows, there may even be a "RCA to miniplug" out
there somewhere.

Once, you are connected, set your adjustments within Audacity and thru your
computer audio to insure that the audio signal is recognized.  That is, the
audio signal from the VHS to your computer.  This will take a few tests.
Once you have a signal then you are ready to record.  You may need to adjust
for input levels.

Set your VHS to play and simultaneously hit the big red "record" button in
Audacity.  You are now recording your audio to your computer.

If you need the visual and audio then just follow Jessica's recommendation
on getting a VHS to dvd deck.

Mine is a just a quick solution for you all.  Please feel free to add on or
correct.

Phil
UofA

Next,