prayer

Jimrem at AOL.COM Jimrem at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 8 14:25:16 UTC 2010

Regarding learning prayers, one of our elders who was teaching a language
class said, "Students  have been asking how to say a prayer in the Lenape
language.  We normally do not learn to say prayers  by memory.  You pray based
on what  is in your heart and you select your words for what you want to
say as you go  along; however, since most people do not yet have enough grasp
of Lenape, what  follows is a sample format for a prayer."

The  format then gives the Lenape words with English translation.  You can
alter  your prayer to fit what you want to say.  Options are set in   [   ]
and separated by /.

Here  is an example of the English with options in the opening part of a
prayer:

Our Creator, truly [thankful]  / [I am glad] that I can
[stand] / [am here] now on this [morning]  / [day] /
[evening].   [A few words] I want to say  something.
Jim Rementer
Lenape Language Project
[w_ww.talk-lenape.org_ (http://www.talk-lenape.org) ]