Free/ open source Indigenous language publications?

Terry J. Klokeid klokeid at UVIC.CA
Mon Sep 13 22:24:15 UTC 2010

Here is a useful version of Jon Reyhner's writing on the topic at hand, as well as other articles, kindly shared with me by Prof. Reyhner:

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jar/NNL/

I am currently writing up something that could be viewed as an adaptation of the Natural Approach of Stephen D. Krashen and Tracy D. Terrell, which has been mentioned, though my project owes just as much to my own experience raising my children as bilinguals.  It is slated for publication in the rather inaccessible Uyaqhmis newsletter, and hopefully somewhere more accessible as well.

It focusses on just four guiding principles, that can be stated from the administrative and teaching point of view, as well as from the learner's point of view:

The teacher must:
1. Create a positive and supportive setting
2. Provide lots of [what I call] language samples [=Krashen and Terrell's Input]
3. Foster and respect the learner's motivation
4. Provide opportunities for the learners to express their own ideas, wants, and needs

You can find a brief blurb at
www.fphlcc.ca/downloads/summer-newsletter-09.pdf

My plan is to write this up from both teacher and learner point of view, starting with the latter, for the Uyaqhmis newsletter.

Back issues of the Uyaqhmis have articles on the back page by myself and some colleagues, Henry Kammler and Ron Hamilton, focussing on the Nuu-chah-nulth language.  Each article is more or less self-contained and intended to spark interest and encourage learners.

http://huuayaht.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=16&id=49&Itemid=129