Request

Bernadette Santamaria bernisantamaria at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 15 16:39:02 UTC 2010

All:

For a community-level language committee, a goal is to get the local school
board to support Apache language teaching in the schools here in addition to
the educational outreach we are attempting to get the older generations to
re-learn and make decisions to once again teach the younger generation our
language.  One issue is that due to administrative staff changes (school
supt, principals, etc), there has not been continuation in these efforts by
local language teachers at schools and the new administrators (gathered from
recent presentations they did to the Tribal Council) seem to not exclude
local language/culture teaching from the school curriculae.

In order to present this committee's recommendations to include these
courses and to strengthen support of local language teachers in the school
system, it was deemed that we need to convince these newer school
administrators of the importance of providing this teachings for our
children in local schools who comprise over 90% enrollment of native
children in them.  We request names of books, articles, authors, etc. that
you can provide us that emphasize the reasons why and how native children
benefit from inclusion of their native language/cultural knowledge in school
curriculae, need examples of tribes/schools that are successful, etc.

Thanks for any info provided on this topic.

Bernadette A. SantaMaria
WM Apache Language Committee