Fwd: Heritage Key Digest - Tandem Google Translate Latin Discit

Dmark916 at AOL.COM Dmark916 at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 30 18:58:35 UTC 2010

This British service has some interesting things, mostly archaeological.
Today's edition has a fascinating segment in ancient Babylonian/Assyrian.
How's  that for language restoration! Click on the Akkadian" link to hear the
language  spoken.
D Martinez

____________________________________
 From: news at heritage-key.com
To: dmark916 at aol.com
Sent: 9/30/2010 6:07:10  A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Heritage Key Digest - Tandem Google  Translate Latin Discit

_Heritage Key Digest -  Tandem Google Translate Latin Discit _
(http://heritage-key.com/articles/rss.xml)

(http://fusion.google.com/add?source=atgs&feedurl=http://feeds.feedburner.com/hkdigest)
 (http://heritage-key.com/articles/rss.xml)
____________________________________

    *   _Tandem Google Translate  Latin Discit _
(mip://07f16de0/default.html#1)
    *   _Quest Your Way to Find  the Mummies_
(mip://07f16de0/default.html#2)
    *   _The Sound of Akkadian -  Listen to Ancient Babylonian online_
(mip://07f16de0/default.html#3)
    *   _One Step Closer to  Understanding Neanderthal Locomotion_
(mip://07f16de0/default.html#4)
_Tandem Google Translate Latin Discit _
(http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/hkdigest/~3/zwBdVmDZ_jM/tandem-google-translate-latin-discit?utm_source=feedburn
er&utm_medium=email)

Google Translate has added Latin to the ever-expanding list of  languages
the free service offers. In _a post  to the official Google blog_
(http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/veni-vidi-verba-verti.html)  titled 'Veni,
Vidi, Verba  Verti' (which the service translates as 'I came, I saw, I
translated the words'), Igeniarius Programmandi Jakob  Uszkoreit correctly points
out that – although it isn't likely to  be used to translate emails (with some
exceptions, maybe) – the new  service is an excellent tool for scholars all
over the world as many  ancient and medieval works on philosophy, religion
and science are  written in Latin, many of those available in Google Books.
Uszkoreit is convinced the system – still in alpha – will soon  deliver
accurate translations, as Latin grammar and vocabulary ceased  evolving and
Google is using the 'thousands' of Latin books already  translated to a
variety of languages to train the system.  As an  example he quotes Caesar's 'The
Gallic Wars'.  Yet, when put to the  test regarding Caesar's conquest of
Pharnaces, Google Translate gets a  bit confused (depending on punctuation):

 About The  Author (mip://07f16de0/users/ann)
_Ann Wuyts_ (mip://07f16de0/users/ann)  (follow me: _e-mail_
(http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=heritage-key-ann&loc=en_US)   or
(mip://07f16de0/users/ann/feed/rss.xml) )

Last three pieces by this author:
_The  Sound of Akkadian - Listen to Ancient Babylonian online_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/sound-akkadian-listen-ancient-babylonian-online)  | _One  Step
Closer to Understanding Neanderthal Locomotion_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/one-step-closer-understanding-neanderthal-locomotion)  | _Angers'  Mithraeum:
Sanctuary dedicated to Persian god Mithras discovered in  France_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/angers-mithraeum-sanctuary-dedicated-persian-god-mithras-dis
covered-france)

Ann 'Vint' Wuyts is looking after the Heritage  Key community and avatar
health & entertainment. She is slightly  fascinated by everything to do with
3D technology and what's commonly  defined as 'Web 2.0'. When she grows up,
Ann - eventually - wants to be  a mummy. Favourite game: Buzzword Bingo /…

(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=zwBdVmDZ_jM:oqp5j0HRn-o:yIl2AUoC8zA)
(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=zwBdVmDZ_jM:oqp5j0HRn-o:qj6IDK7rITs)

_Quest Your Way to Find the Mummies_
(http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/hkdigest/~3/dL7bcBRlFHM/quest-your-way-find-mummies?utm_source=feedburner&utm_mediu
m=email)

Exploring is more fun now with the new Heritage Key  Virtual Quest in the
Treasures region!
As you land in the _Arrivals  Area_
(http://heritage-key.com/site/heritage-key-grid-welcome-area)  after logging into _Heritage Key  Virtual_
(http://heritage-key.com/site/king-tut-virtual) , make your way to the teleports
where you will see several  destinations. Selecting "Treasures" will take you to
_King Tutankhamun's_ (http://heritage-key.com/king-tut)  _Golden  Shrine_
(http://heritage-key.com/egypt/encased-gold-shrines-king-tut) .

 About The  Author (mip://07f16de0/users/meral-crifasi)
_Meral Crifasi_ (mip://07f16de0/users/meral-crifasi)  (follow me: _e-mail_
(http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?
uri=heritage-key-meral-crifasi&loc=en_US)   or  (mip://07f16de0/users/meral-crifasi/feed/rss.xml) )

Last three pieces by this author:
_Last  days to win £1,000 worth of Addison Lee Travel in London_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/meral-crifasi/last-days-win-£1000-worth-addison-lee-travel-london
)  | _Meet-Up  at the Valley of the Kings for Live Music _
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/meral-crifasi/meet-valley-kings-live-music) | _Meet the  Driver
Challenge_ (mip://07f16de0/blogs/meral-crifasi/meet-driver-challenge)

Meral joined Rezzable Productions Ltd. exactly  three years ago. It was
there that she had her first Virtual World  Experience and got really
fascinated by the most amazing experiences  they have created in that period of time.
Now she's even more excited  about the future and growth of Heritage Key.
Meral…

(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=dL7bcBRlFHM:ENtEqH6sgtI:yIl2AUoC8zA)
(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=dL7bcBRlFHM:ENtEqH6sgtI:qj6IDK7rITs)

_The Sound of Akkadian - Listen to Ancient Babylonian online_
(http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/hkdigest/~3/U94q1ITloTQ/sound-akkadian-listen-ancient-baby
lonian-online?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email)

 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scruch/4245370037/) Almost 2,000 years after
its last native  speakers disappeared, the sound of Ancient Babylonian
makes a comeback  in an online audio archive.  The recordings include excerpts
from  some of the earliest known works of world literature, dating back to
the  first years of the second millennium BC.
Prompted by the enquiries of curious colleagues and friends, Dr.  Martin
Worthington,  an expert in Babylonian and Assyrian grammar  _from  the
University of Cambridge_
(http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/teaching_and_research/jr_fellows/m_worthington/) , has begun to record readings of  Babylonian poems, myths
and other texts in the original tongue. In an  effort to present users with
a variety of voices, the readings –  available online for free at
_www.speechisfire.com_ (http://www.speechisfire.com/)  – are given  by Dr.
Worthington's fellow Assyriologists.

 About The  Author (mip://07f16de0/users/ann)
_Ann Wuyts_ (mip://07f16de0/users/ann)  (follow me: _e-mail_
(http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=heritage-key-ann&loc=en_US)   or
(mip://07f16de0/users/ann/feed/rss.xml) )

Last three pieces by this author:
_Tandem  Google Translate Latin Discit _
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/tandem-google-translate-latin-discit) | _One  Step Closer to Understanding
Neanderthal Locomotion_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/one-step-closer-understanding-neanderthal-locomotion)  | _Angers'  Mithraeum: Sanctuary dedicated to Persian
god Mithras discovered in  France_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/angers-mithraeum-sanctuary-dedicated-persian-god-mithras-discovered-france)

Ann 'Vint' Wuyts is looking after the Heritage  Key community and avatar
health & entertainment. She is slightly  fascinated by everything to do with
3D technology and what's commonly  defined as 'Web 2.0'. When she grows up,
Ann - eventually - wants to be  a mummy. Favourite game: Buzzword Bingo /…

(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=U94q1ITloTQ:m6ubo4OjJu8:yIl2AUoC8zA)
(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=U94q1ITloTQ:m6ubo4OjJu8:qj6IDK7rITs)

_One Step Closer to Understanding Neanderthal Locomotion_
(http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/hkdigest/~3/4o5ODNvymXo/one-step-closer-understanding-neandert
hal-locomotion?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email)

A new research project from the Université Libre de  Bruxelles (ULB) takes
us “one step further” as it comes to understanding  Neanderthal locomotion.
 The Laboratory of Anatomy, Biomechanics  and Organogenesis' (LABO for
short) project created a 3D virtual  reconstruction of a pair of Neanderthal
lower limbs.

The  skeleton shows the Neanderthals had the same moves as we do – and
between 5% and 20% more leverage than us.
Homonids (that includes all forms of the human lineage, be it extinct  or
living) started bipedal locomotion (moving by means of your two rear  limbs
or, in our case, legs) some 6 million years ago.  When you  compare our
'modern man' gait to that of our fellow hominids, man takes  giant steps.  But
what about the Neanderthals? To which degree is  their locomotion comparable
to ours?

 About The  Author (mip://07f16de0/users/ann)
_Ann Wuyts_ (mip://07f16de0/users/ann)  (follow me: _e-mail_
(http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=heritage-key-ann&loc=en_US)   or
(mip://07f16de0/users/ann/feed/rss.xml) )

Last three pieces by this author:
_Tandem  Google Translate Latin Discit _
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/tandem-google-translate-latin-discit) | _The  Sound of Akkadian - Listen to Ancient
Babylonian online_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/sound-akkadian-listen-ancient-babylonian-online)  | _Angers'  Mithraeum: Sanctuary dedicated to Persian god
Mithras discovered in  France_
(mip://07f16de0/blogs/ann/angers-mithraeum-sanctuary-dedicated-persian-god-mithras-discovered-france)

Ann 'Vint' Wuyts is looking after the Heritage  Key community and avatar
health & entertainment. She is slightly  fascinated by everything to do with
3D technology and what's commonly  defined as 'Web 2.0'. When she grows up,
Ann - eventually - wants to be  a mummy. Favourite game: Buzzword Bingo /…

(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=4o5ODNvymXo:Jy0SJr4EeCc:yIl2AUoC8zA)
(http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/hkdigest?a=4o5ODNvymXo:Jy0SJr4EeCc:qj6IDK7rITs)

You  are subscribed to email updates from _Heritage Key Digest_
(http://heritage-key.com/articles/rss.xml)
To stop receiving these emails, you may _unsubscribe  now_
(http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=O6zDrjGHDD_bK88najiiscbCAm8) . Email
delivery powered by Google  Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA  60610