Culture trumps biology in language development, study argues (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Fri Apr 15 14:05:02 UTC 2011

kweh omateru',
If i understand correctly, it seems an understanding of THE BIG picture
(paradigm) is ever expanding,
and when we recognize *universal patterns*, eg.,within physics,
astronomical, molecular,
we can learn how BASIC universal patterns apply to all of reality ... even
to our fields of linguistics.

"Continual metamorphosis" (as Jess described) seems to be an established
universal model,
pops up everywhere,  not a concept foreign to any indigenous thinking i'm
aware of.
Our own cultural expressions, reasons, and  descriptions of "change" WILL be
different, and thats the beauty.

BUT is it merely from the halls of academia that the big picture comes into
view?
or are indigenous cultures approaching the BIG PICTURE views in their own
particular ways?

For those of us in the process of revitalization of Language/Culture,
We have that difficult task of moving, often as our Maori friends describe
as, our backs to the future.
How do we preserve worthy cultural distinction while appreciating the  "BIG
PICTURE" ?
Will the standardization of a ONE SIZE fits all GENERIC Academic system,
only feed the tsunami effects of an underlying undetected colonialism?
reducing all cultural circles to floating angular particles, with a touch of
"nice" color here and there?

Will our own cultural leaders return from Academic Institutions,the
*new*secular missionaries
to compartmentalize our own cultural practices and life-ways into nice new
ribbon shirts?

I am *always* hungry to learn more! ... but at the same time I'm cautious
and suspicious of
academicism, and Greenhouse grown paradigms, always reducing...always
compartmentalizing,
It is the nature of conquest to blaze trails, be the first, to discover new
uncharted territories
There is a very destructive side to all this reductionism that i find
worrisome.
(the sciences once thought creating styrofoam for the entire world! was an
excellent idea)

ske:noh
Richard