International Day of the World's Indigenous People 9 August (fwd)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Aug 9 06:45:10 UTC 2011

International Day of the World's Indigenous People
9 August

http://www.un.org/en/events/indigenousday/message_unesco.shtml

Message from Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO

>From the Kalahari Desert to the Himalayas, from the Amazon to the
Arctic region, the indigenous peoples of the world are living change
at the sharp end. They stand also on the frontline of the global
struggle for human rights and fundamental freedoms, wrestling every
day with the challenges of discrimination and the deprivations of
poverty.

This International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is an
opportunity to strengthen our common resolve to promote the rights and
dignity of indigenous peoples across the world.

Indigenous peoples hold some of the keys to tackling global
challenges. They speak the majority of humanity’s languages. They have
crafted livelihoods that marry cultural and biological diversity. They
have developed knowledge systems with unique insight to sustainable
development.

This year’s International Day is held under the theme of “indigenous
designs: celebrating stories and cultures, crafting our own future.”
As we strive to foster sustainable and equitable development, it is
vital we listen to the voices of indigenous peoples. It is imperative
that we learn from their knowledge.

This starts with protecting their human rights and fundamental
freedoms. The adoption of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
Peoples by the United Nations General Assembly in September 2007
marked a turning point. With increasing support, the Declaration has
become the reference point for promoting equity, inclusion and social
justice.

UNESCO’s contribution starts with normative action. The Universal
Declaration on Cultural Diversity, whose 10th anniversary we celebrate
this year, and the conventions devoted to the Safeguarding of the
Intangible Cultural Heritage (2003) and the Protection and Promotion
of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions (2005) are milestones,
recognizing indigenous peoples as unique custodians of cultural and
biological diversity. For UNESCO, development and culture must move
forward together –- starting with the cultures of the most
marginalised peoples.

We work also to promote the knowledge systems of indigenous peoples.
Our Local and Indigenous Knowledge Systems programme seeks global
recognition of the importance of indigenous knowledge for
understanding the impacts of climate change and for developing ways to
adapt at the community level. It is vital we integrate this knowledge
into global approaches to climate change.

UNESCO acts also to protect endangered languages. We lead global
efforts to monitor language vitality as an indicator of the status and
trends of the traditional knowledge of indigenous and local
communities. We work here in partnership, with the World Conservation
Monitoring Centre’s Biodiversity Indicators Partnership and in the
framework of the 2020 targets of the Convention of Biological
Diversity.

On these foundations, UNESCO is now sharpening its comprehensive
approach to supporting indigenous peoples. This is leading us to think
today about the goals we set for the future, especially after 2015 and
the Millennium Development Goals. Indigenous peoples have unique
needs, but they have also universally-valuable experience to share on
poverty reduction, equitable education, and environmental
sustainability.

Development in the 21st century must be crafted from within individual
societies. It must meet local needs and fulfil the aspirations of
indigenous peoples. This spirit guides UNESCO. This idea must inspire
all governments and international organizations. In crafting their own
futures, indigenous peoples are building a future of equity and
justice for us all.