Lakota Language Activist Russell Means Diagnosed with Cancer

Mathias Bullerman webmaster at SAIVUS.ORG
Thu Aug 18 17:48:15 UTC 2011

"As part of his vision to create Lakotah, Means started the Treaty
School, an immersion-language school for young children in a
three-story prototype of an oversized Lakota tipi on his property. The
structure remains unfinished, and the school never grew beyond a
handful of students.

"Because of our poverty, that ultimately failed," he said.

People couldn't afford gas to bring their children to school, much
less tuition, he said.

"We're losing our language, and nobody cares," he said of a cultural
reality that he sees as the biggest disappointment of his life."

Read more:
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/activist-russell-means-fighting-esophageal-cancer/article_30efc88c-c94d-11e0-9447-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1VP66Nnoe

http://saivus.org/blog/?p=996