What's going on....

Paula Meyer pmeyer8 at COX.NET
Tue Dec 6 18:15:09 UTC 2011

Rolland,
The complainers about "truth" put me in mind of those who attacked Rigoberta Menchu.  Rigoberta may have collapsed several people into one and changed her relationship to some of them, but the overall message  in her book of the oppression of her family and her people is absolutely true.  There are many definitions of "truth."  For example, there are chronicles taken verbatim from a particular incident, and there are personal histories that come from a person's perception of events.  Both are true.  In a way, the narrator's perceptions hold more "truth" or meaning than "objective" documentation.  This issue comes up a lot when narratives of oppressed people are read or heard by the oppressors.
Paula