Learn an ancient tongue: linguist (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jan 24 19:07:56 UTC 2011

Learn an ancient tongue: linguist

Larine Statham | 23rd January 2011
Australia

AUSTRALIANS have diverse ethnic backgrounds and between them speak an array
of languages, but Michael Christie believes we should look closer to home
and learn an Aboriginal tongue.

Professor Christie, who was named the Northern Territory's Australian of the
Year, wants more Australians to consider such a move as they celebrate
Australia Day this year.

"It's part of the rich history of our country," he told AAP.

"If you study the language you start to learn about kinship and about land
ownership and about ceremonial history, which actually teaches you something
more general about Aboriginal societies.

"Learning the culture would help us reflect on the narrowness of some of our
own Western European culture."

Access full article below:
http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/story/2011/01/23/learn-an-ancient-tongue-says-linguist/