Urge President Obama to support Native Languages

Linn, Mary S. mslinn at OU.EDU
Thu Jul 14 16:50:52 UTC 2011

Hello ILATers!

The Linguistic Society of America's Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation has a new website at http://lsacelp.org/.<http://lsacelp.org/>

During this last year, the committee president, Carol Genetti, and other members wrote a resolution, passed by the full membership of LSA, in support of the Executive Order on Native American Language Revitalization, and urging President Obama to sign the order (out of the many he has to choose from).

Now we are starting a letter writing campaign to President Obama. Carol has made this very easy for everyone to do. You can go to the CELP website page http://lsacelp.org/take-action/. This explains more about the action and includes a letter already written that you can send to the president (or redo to make it more your own) and simple instructions on how to send it.

I encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity and write to the president on this issue.

Yes we can, right?!
Mary

Mary S. Linn
Associate Curator, Native American Languages
Associate Professor, Anthropology
Adjunct Associate Professor, Native American Studies

Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, OK 73072
405-325-7588 (voice)