Dene Assembly delegates push GNWT for language programs (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jul 19 23:58:53 UTC 2011

Dene Assembly delegates push GNWT for language programs

July 19, 2011

Yellowknife, N.W.T. - First Nations around the territory are
supporting a declaration aimed at improving academic success for
aboriginal students.

The NWT Minister of Education, Jackson Lafferty, presented the
initiative at last week's Dene National Assembly, where delegates
debated school curriculum.

Chief Roy Fabian of the Kat'loeeche First Nation in Hay River
challenged the minister to add a focus on language.

“I will support this, but I want one thing, one change in it, I want
the Government of the Northwest Territories to start promoting Dene
immersion programs in all the Dene communities,” he said. “That our
children will learn how to read and write and count in Dene first, not
English.”

Access full article below:
http://hqyellowknife.com/news/local/news/Local/11/07/19/Dene-Assembly-delegates-push-GNWT-for-language-programs/