grassroots programs

Rudy Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Jul 25 18:32:03 UTC 2011

Dear Tammy,

   That's great to hear what you are doing. My old friend, the late great
Bea Medicine, once told me that when she was growing up, there was even a
newspaper in Dakotah that people read. It would be great if that could
happen again. Keep up the good work!

   Rudy

   Rudy Troike
   University of Arizona

Quoting Tammy DeCoteau <tdc.aaia at verizon.net>:

All good comments Cathy and Rudy.  I too think it is crucial to make "language
relevant to their daily lives."  Once someone told me that surrounding
yourself
in the language is a form of immersion.  So we have a little project that I
call, "surrounding the community in the language."  We try to put Dakotah
everywhere.  At the store, at the tribal office, at the schools, on facebook,
on twitter, in the hallways of the buildings, in the restaurant, on the tribal
radio station.  We need to combat the thinking, "Well, I'm never going to
use it anyway."

We made little cards for the local flower shops so the cards are in
Dakotah and
they express the way we feel about things.   The sympathy cards say
things like,
"I will see you again" and "they’re with their relatives now."  We even
made a full line of greeting cards in Dakotah.

Tammy DeCoteau
AAIA Native Language Program