NSF possibilities

Doug Whalen whalen at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 27 18:56:33 UTC 2011

   Dear all,
   The National Science Foundation has many funding opportunities
relevant to this list.  Most relevant, of course, is the Documenting
Endangered Languages program (http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=12816
), which most of you know about already.
   Susan Penfield and I wanted to point out a less obvious source of
funding in the Education and Human Resources division:
http://nsf.gov/div/index.jsp?div=DRL
Especially interesting is the REESE program (Research and Evaluation
on Education in Science and Engineering), which would like to fund
more work on culturally relevant science education.  Such education
could easily include a language component, as when elders are engaged
in explaining the natural science implications of words, place names,
and stories.  The project would have to be about teaching science, not
language, specifically "STEM" (Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics) science.  It is very advantageous to have an established
educational researcher on the team.  Evaluation of the program has to
be part of the research plan.
   There are also programs for informal education, especially for
summer programs, and innovative approaches in the early grades
("Discovery Research K-12  (DR K-12)").  (http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=500047
)
   We are happy to discuss any plans you might have, to give our
suggestions of what might make a project that NSF would be interested
in.  You are also welcome to contact the main program officer
concerned, James Dietz (jdietz at nsf.gov).
  Another possibility is the Noyce Foundation:
http://www.noycefdn.org/
  It is often easier to get some foundation funding before going for
Federal support.
  Please contact either of us if you have questions or think that you
might have a possible project.

  Best, Doug Whalen DhW and Susan Penfield

whalen at endangeredlanguagefund.org
susan.penfield at gmail.com

Douglas H. Whalen, President
Endangered Language Fund
300 George St., Suite 900
New Haven, CT 06511
USA
+1-203-865-6163, ext. 265 (or 234 for Whalen)
elf at endangeredlanguagefund.org
  www.endangeredlanguagefund.org

Douglas H. Whalen
Vice President of Research