Bemidji=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=Ojibwe Language Project Seeking Permanen ce (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Jul 28 21:42:57 UTC 2011

Bemidji’s Ojibwe Language Project Seeking Permanence

By ICTMN Staff July 28, 2011
USA

What started with the Ojibwe words for women (Ikwewag) and men
(Iminiwag) on local restroom doors in 2005 is becoming more permanent
and resonating with Bemidji, Minnesota residents.

Sanford Health officials have started placing Ojibwe/English signage
throughout their complex, and Bemidji area schools have committed to
placing bilingual signage in every school building. These efforts are
all part of the Bemidji Ojibwe Language Project, which is affiliated
with Shared Vision.

“It’s hard to express the emotion I felt this week as we entered the
front doors of the Sanford Medical Center and saw the first permanent
English/Ojibwe signs in the building,” said Ojibwe Language Project
team member Rachelle Houle. “We are proud and yet so humbled that a
small seed of an idea has grown, taken root, and is here to stay.”
Houle and Michael Meuers have spearheaded the Ojibwe Language Project
since its beginnings.

Access full article below:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2011/07/bemidji’s-ojibwe-language-project-seeking-permanence/