UTA helps Native Americans learn to save own languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Jun 7 19:28:50 UTC 2011

UTA helps Native Americans learn to save own languages

Posted Sunday, Jun. 05, 20110
BY DIANE SMITH
dianesmith at star-telegram.com
USA

ARLINGTON -- Hutke Fields pictures a time when younger generations of
Natchez people use his tribe's native tongue at ceremonies, while
sharing oral histories and during everyday talk at home.

But Field's vision is complicated by the fact that only six people,
out of about 10,000 members of the Natchez tribe in Oklahoma, still
speak the language.

"We'll lose it if we don't use it," said Fields, who received
assistance last year during a workshop dedicated to helping American
Indian communities in Oklahoma to bring back disappearing languages.

Access full article below:
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/05/3129442/uta-helps-native-americans-learn.html