Squamish: New Dictionary Aims to Keep Language Alive (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Jun 18 17:09:28 UTC 2011

Squamish: New Dictionary Aims to Keep Language Alive

By KEVIN GRIFFIN 18 JUN 2011
Canada

A few weeks ago, Deborah Jacobs, head of education for the Squamish
Nation, was in Seattle in the Capitol Hill area. In Elliott Bay Books,
she wandered through the Native American section to see what was new.
Then she saw something that took her breath away: a copy of the new
Squamish-English dictionary that she helped coordinate for the past 18
years.

“I was looking and scanning and then I saw it. I thought: 'Oh my god,
there's our dictionary on the shelf.”

Access full article below:
http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/cultureseen/archive/2011/06/18/squamish-new-dictionary-aims-to-keep-language-alive.aspx