Skype and Language Learning

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Tue Jun 21 19:46:49 UTC 2011

Aloha Phil,

The Niuolahiki Hawaiian language classes conducted online by the ‘Aha Pūnana Leo use Skype, but to what degree I'm not sure.Skype didn't even exist when we piloted the classes at UHH back in 2002, the ‘APL added a Skype component a few years after we turned it over to them in @2005.  I'll email you the coordinator's contact information so you can contact him.

Keola

On 2011 Iun. 21, at 05:04, Phillip E Cash Cash wrote:

> Greetings ILAT,
>
> How is your summer?  Just to encourage some discussion and interest, I
> want to ask if any of you are using Skype as an online medium for
> learning and teaching an indigenous language.  If so please feel free
> to share your experience(s) here.  What might be the benefits and
> challenges using this medium (including any online exchange sites that
> you might be using)?
>
> If there are any articles/citations/links that are relevant to this
> discussion, please feel free to post these as well.
>
> Much thanks in advance,
>
> Phil Cash Cash
> UofA

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.