Developing Wikipedias in indigenous languages of Mexico

Rudy Troike rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 9 18:22:56 UTC 2011

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:15:09 -0700
From: Leigh Thelmadatter <osamadre at hotmail.com>

I'm involved with a project among Wikimedia México, Red Nacional de Jóvenes
Indígenas, ed de Comunicadores Boca de Polen and the Escuela Nacional de
Antropología e Historía (affiliated with INAH) to develop and promote the
creation and maintenance of Wikipedias in the various indigenous languages of
this country. We have an informal agreement with the Instituto Nacional de
Lenguas Indigenas, but are working on formalizing it. Essentially, it will
involve not only training and encouraging speakers of these languages to
write articles, but also to develop keyboards, operating systems and
interfaces with Wikipedia in the target languages. For most of the languages,
the first main challenge is to come up with a writing system, as many do not
have a standard and many, like Mixteco, have a number of dialects.

Anyone who might be interested in this project are welcome to look at
Wikimedia México's page at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_M%C3%A9xico  and especially the
minutes of the last meeting on 4 March here
(in Spanish)
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_M%C3%A9xico/Lenguas_de_M%C3%A9xico/Minuta_4_de_marzo_de_2011

Or feel free to contact me. There's a very good chance we will need some
expert linguistic advice!

Leigh