Response to Deb Roy's study

Kingston, Deanna deanna.kingston at OREGONSTATE.EDU
Fri Mar 18 16:51:53 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I am not a linguist and I do not know the literature about language acquisition, so my comment is based upon my own experience with trying to learn two different languages as an adult.  It also is based on my experience in having to teach my son in other ways due to his Asperger's Syndrome (potty training, comes to mind).

I am taking Neski's statement, which is his paraphrase of Deb Roy's point, which is while the parent is teaching the language to the child, the child is also teaching the parent how to teach the language.

Through trial and error, I have figured out the most effective ways of teaching my son, so he has taught me which methods work and which don't.

When I tried to speak the Iñupiaq to elders in my community (King Island Iñupiat) taught at UAF in the mid-90s, the elders several times would reply in English: "We don't say that. Those people up north (i.e., Barrow, which was the dialect we were being taught) say that." I was shut down and told that what I was taught through a formal education system was not right.

I contrast that with how we teach language to babies. There is constant positive encouragement and tremendous patience (i.e., six months go to from "gaga" to "water", taking into account the development of the baby's muscular development in his mouth).

As an adult, at least in my experience, I haven't received the constant positive encouragement nor patience. So, it seems to me that creating such a learning environment, with positive feedback loops, would be one key to language acquistion. I know it would help me!! : )
Deanna