Fw: Puliima 2011 Indigenous Language & Technology Forum - Newsletter #4

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Fri Mar 25 18:09:21 UTC 2011

Puliima 2011 Indigenous Language & Technology Forum - Newsletter #4

_______
wahjeh
rolland nadjiwon

From: Puliima 2011
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 2:32 AM
To: mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Subject: Puliima 2011 Indigenous Language & Technology Forum - Newsletter #4

                  Read the latest news about what is happening at the Puliima 2011 Indigenous Languages and Technology Forum - REGISTER NOW
                 Is this email not displaying correctly?
                  View it in your browser.

                        Please forward throughout your networks

                        Puliima 2011 National Indigenous
                        Languages and Technology Forum

                        10th - 13th May 2011, State Library of Queensland, Brisbane

                        With just under 7 weeks to go for Puliima 20ll in Brisbane we have placed on the Puliima website all of the latest news with an updated list of who is presenting and their session contents. We have also added the 'Whats Happening' page to give you a quick overview of the event. Over the coming weeks we will continue to keep you informed through our newsletter the latest news and highlights such as those below.

                        Click here to REGISTER NOW

                        Remember Puliima only comes along every 2 years so please do not miss this extremely important event.

                        This Weeks Puliima Highlights

                        International Presenters - Indigenous Language Institute (North America)
                        Jeremy Montoya, Jordan Naranjo are part of a group of very inspirational Native American teens, along side of Rachael Nez from the Indigenous Languages Institute(ILI) in North America and with their mentor, Laura Jagles, they are learning their native language and have a truly remarkable story to share. They are participating in a groundbreaking pilot program that is an empowering self-study language course developed by ILI, the schools and the community. They wish to share their story and their learnings with you, come along and be inspired too.

                        Visit the Indigenous Language Institute website
                        Click here to learn more about "The Young Ancestors"

                        Victoria - Why Language is Important to Me
                        We are very pleased to have an inspirational young girl, Hollie Johnson, from Victoria presenting, "Why Language is Important to Me". Hollie has completed Year 12 Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) in Indigenous Languages and is currently working with Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Langauges part-time to extend her skills and knowledge. It is great to see young people getting involved with Aboriginal language revival and maintenance and carrying on the hard work that has been started by their elders.

                        "With my language now being passed from my Elders onto me it has given me the opportunity to extend my knowledge and understanding of my people and where we come from." - Hollie Johnson

                        Click here read more about HOLLIE'S PRESENTATION

                        Youth Sponsorships Available

                        The theme for this year is “Old Language – New Voices”, this means we are especially encouraging the youth to attend this conference so on that note we would like to offer 10 free registrations for anyone under the age of 21, the first 10 expressions for this offer received must include a paragraph or 2 on “what language means to you”, please send your interest to us at puliima2011 at acra.org.au and if you are successful we will contact you with further details. This could be a fantastic experience to share your story with others like Hollie and our Native American guests, Jeremy and Jordon.

                        Optional 3rd Day

                        On Friday 13th May 2011 we are holding 3 optional events which you may like to attend.
                        You may choose one of the following (all sessions are concurrent):
                          a.. Indigenous Linguists Forum (open only to Indigenous participants)
                          b.. Miromaa Training Workshop (limit of 15 attendees)
                          c.. "The Power of Aboriginal Language and Culture in the Hands of Aboriginal People", a Seminar by Keith Kemp from Marruwa Indigenous Consultancy
                        Click here to read more about the OPTIONAL 3RD DAY and WHAT'S HAPPENING

                        Your To Do's

                        Have you booked your accommodation?
                        We have rooms reserved at 4 lovely Brisbane hotels, but get in fast as the special Puliima rates will expire on the 10th April 2011!
                        Click here to read more about your ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS

                        Have you planned your travel?
                        We have information on our website about transportation to/from and within Brisbane.
                        Click here to read more about your TRANSPORT OPTIONS

                        Brisbane Floods

                        We have heard through the grapevine that some people may have concerns about the Brisbane floods affecting the conference.
                        We can happily say that the floods have not had an impact on the conference whatsoever and everything is all running as planned.

                        See you in Brisbane!

                          Funded by                      Major Sponsor

                        Follow on Facebook | Forward to a Friend
                        Quicklinks:
                        REGISTER NOW
                        WHO IS PRESENTING
                        WHAT IS HAPPENING

                        Contact us at:
                        puliima2011 at acra.org.au
                        +61 2 4927 8222
                        www.acra.org.au/puliima

                        Puliima is organised by Miromaa Aboriginal
                        Language & Technology Centre

                         unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences | view email in browser