Lapsing languages offer different view of world (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun May 1 22:21:06 UTC 2011

Lapsing languages offer different view of world

BY JACK KNOX, TIMES COLONIST APRIL 30, 2011
British Columbia

Back when he was gillnetting salmon around Nootka Sound, Alban Michael
had a handy way to stop the whole world from listening in when he
radioed another boat.

"When I wanted to keep a secret, I spoke my language."

The 84-year-old has little opportunity to use that language anymore,
though. He is, in fact, the very last person on Earth to speak
Nuchatlaht.

Access full article below:
http://www.timescolonist.com/life/Lapsing+languages+offer+different+view+world/4703630/story.html