a request

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Thu May 26 16:34:43 UTC 2011

This morning I couldn't sleep because of sciatic nerve pain.We live out in
the boonies, 4:00 it was dark,
so got up to run down the road, a car came over the hill and hit my dog.
The woman obviously felt terrible,and guilty "*I'm SOOO sorry*..." she
said...and *it communicated.*..she *really regretted* what had happened
and that she was in any way involved in it. I had no doubt it ruined her
morning if not her entire day.

"Its not your fault" i said trying to reassure her, "look she's still on
four legs, she'll be ok."
our poor dog limped back home following me....*now I felt horribly wretched
and guilty!*
If i hadn't gone for the run, the dogs wouldn't have followed..(they follow
me every morning when i hike on the land).
I found myself tearing up, rubbing her belly as she lay curled up in
misery. saying the same damn words!  "...*I'm so so sorry*..."

Perhaps in English , such expressions are all about context and emphasis,
exuding regret...not the actual "words"
When intense emotion and emphasis is there, we can feel *sincerity and angst
* coming from the speakers heart.

But an *official *apology...podium,suit and tie, perfumed, hairsprayed,
cameras and mics, handshaking, speeches
begins to communicate something entirely different....even if there are
tears.
even...possibly something distrustful or suspicious to victims or victims
descendants...
but not obviously to everyone...for there are MANY different ways to
*hear*a word.

Suzies wagged her tail and turning ever so slightly to allow her belly
rubbed....and some assurance was given
that i am not despised and evil in the sight of this little innocent one
whom my carelessness got her hurt....
She seemed to receive *my emphasis and tone and then gave to ME an act of
her own gentleness...*
*expressing..."see i trust you...no hard feelings"...*

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte Ok.

rzs at wildblue.net

richardzanesmith.wordpress.com