'We Still Live Here' Traces Comeback of Wampanoag Indian Language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Nov 10 19:40:40 UTC 2011

November 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM EDT

'We Still Live Here' Traces Comeback of Wampanoag Indian Language

BY: SASKIA DE MELKER

On Thursday's NewsHour, we'll feature an excerpt of the film "We Still
Live Here," which tells the story of the return of the Wampanoag
Indian language, the first time a language with no native speakers has
been revived in this country. It's part of our series, in partnership
with The Economist magazine, showcasing the art of filmmaking.

Jessie Little Doe Baird, a Wampanoag linguist whose story is central
to the film, recently won a MacArthur "genius" award for her
unprecedented work in bringing back her people's language, which had
not been spoken for over a century.

Anne Makepeace has been a writer, producer, and director of
award-winning independent films for more than twenty-five years. "We
Still Live Here - Âs Nutayuneân" is her most recent documentary, and
is now making the festival rounds. It has won the 2011 Inspiration
Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival and the Moving
Mountains Prize at Telluride Mountain Film Festival.

Access full article below:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/11/we-still-live-here.html