Elderly Siraya sit-in protest

Huang,Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sat Nov 19 04:55:36 UTC 2011

Braving the rain, Cheng-hiong Talavan, a 70-year-old man from the
Siraya tribe, carried a giant cross made of bamboo from Greater Tainan
and began a sit-in outside the Council of Indigenous Peoples in Taipei
yesterday, urging the government to grant official recognition to his
tribe.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2011/11/18/2003518604

and... just my personal note: without Talavan, there would not be a
Tainan Pingpu Siraya Culture Association, where me and several others
work together on Siraya language revitalization.

Jimmy