Elderly Siraya sit-in protest

Huang,Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sat Nov 19 16:38:37 UTC 2011

Thanks, Richard.

Well I don't think everyone in my tribe cares
(about recognition or about language/culture revitalization) as much as
some of us do, either. I just like to listen to my uncle Talavan talk.
He speaks only the truth from his heart - it's always so simple and so
real: "I don't understand what the government is thinking. We are
Aborigines because we are Aborigines..." "We have to get our identity
back, so we won't have to apologize to our ancestors and we won't feel
regret when facing our descendants."

Jimmy

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011
08:49:15 -0600, Richard Zane Smith wrote:

> kweh kweh Jimmy, So great
to hear about whats going on pursuing full recognition and rights of the
indigenous peoples in Taiwan!
> this has got to be encouraging that the
news is getting out there.
> I think some of us in quiet sleepy
Oklahoma need some threatening to get stirred up ourselves.
> too many
here seems to be passively accepting the occasional soup bone tossed our
way.

10:55 PM, Huang,Chun wrote:

>> Braving the rain, Cheng-hiong Talavan,
a 70-year-old man from the Siraya tribe, carried a giant cross made of
bamboo from Greater Tainan and began a sit-in outside the Council of
Indigenous Peoples in Taipei yesterday, urging the government to grant
official recognition to his tribe.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2011/11/18/2003518604
[1]

>> and... just my personal note: without Talavan, there would
not be a Tainan Pingpu Siraya Culture Association, where me and several
others work together on Siraya language revitalization.

>> Jimmy
>

> --
>
> _nest over conquest, calm over competition, cohesion over
coercion _

> richardzanesmith.wordpress.com [3]

Links:
------