LSA CELP: Native American language revitalization letter-writing campaign

Linn, Mary S. mslinn at OU.EDU
Mon Nov 28 21:23:02 UTC 2011

Hello ILATers,

As a professional organization, the Linguistic Society of America (LSA) may not have much profile in indigenous communities, and this is too bad. The website for LSA is http://www.lsadc.org/. It is rather clunky now, but they are working to update its style and content.

Hopefully, the expanded activities of the LSA Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation (CELP) will have more relevance to the average person and to endangered language communities, including this writing campaign to get the president of the US to sign an executive order. The committee also sponsors more applied workshops at the LSA annual meeting, including workshops on language description and revitalization, and a retrospective of projects sponsored by NSF Documenting Endangered Languages grants in an effort to call to light the importance of these projects. CELP is working with another committee to start an LSA award that will honor indigenous language teachers/mentors/linguists around the world. The website for CELP is found at http://www.lsadc.org/info/lsa-comm-endanger.cfm

I hope this short introduction to LSA and CELP helps.

Mary

Mary S. Linn
Associate Curator, Native American Languages
Associate Professor, Anthropology
Adjunct Associate Professor, Native American Studies

Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, OK 73072
405-325-7588 (voice)