Information about transcription software

Susana Tornero susanatnarradora at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 6 09:55:50 UTC 2011

Hi to everyone,

I am working on a research group from the antrophology department on
Barcelona University, we are collecting folktales from the people of
Barcelona from african origin in their mother tongue. The objective is to
provide material online with videos of folktales in the original languages
with subtitles.

Now I am searching the appropiate software, but I need information about how
to process the material first. There is a software capable to transcribe a
voice archive into the International Phonetic Alphabet? We would also like
to have good material for linguistic analysis, word-to-word translation and
final translation for the final publication of the tales if possible.

I have heard about Toolbox, and I downloaded the program, but as far I can
see, these software works only with text files. Am I right? I suppose there
is another program who can do that part of the process, but I am not sure
about it. There is anyone who can help me to find out?

Thank you very much!

Susana Tornero