Squamish Nation struggles to preserve a threatened language (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Oct 11 17:00:58 UTC 2011

Squamish Nation struggles to preserve a threatened language

Squamish Stories, Part 3
BY TESSA HOLLOWAY, NORTH SHORE NEWS OCTOBER 11, 2011 9:15 AM
USA

Ask Peter Jacobs how many fluent speakers of the Squamish language
there are and he pauses for a second.

"Two or three years ago, we were saying less than 15," says Jacobs,
who works in the band's language program. "I would have to say less
than 10 now."

Overwhelmingly, those 10 or so fluent speakers are elders of the
community, a vital resource of traditional knowledge, but also a
resource that may not be around much longer.

Access full article below:
http://www.nsnews.com/life/Squamish+Nation+struggles+preserve+threatened+language/5531356/story.html