Cree immersion classes begin at Alexander First Nation (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 12 15:50:32 UTC 2011

Cree immersion classes begin at Alexander First Nation

Wednesday, Oct 12, 2011 06:00 am | By Susan Jones
Canada

Students at Kipohtakow Education Centre start their day by singing Ka Kanata.

As they stand on guard for their home and native land, these young
people are also doing something quite radical at Alexander First
Nation. They are learning to speak Cree.

“We want to teach our culture, and language is so important to that.
We need to carry on as Cree people and as a Cree community and we
can’t wait any longer,” said Jody Kootenay, director of education at
Kipohtakow school. “In our entire community, only one person under the
age of 50 understands Cree.”

Access full article below:
http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/20111012/SAG0801/310129972/cree-immersion-classes-begin-at-alexander-first-nation