National award for Inuvialuktun teacher (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Oct 14 16:11:02 UTC 2011

National award for Inuvialuktun teacher
Immersion kindergarten class receives recognition after 20 years

Samantha Stokell
Northern News Services
Published Thursday, October 13, 2011

INUVIK
Sandra Ipana's passion for teaching children their Invialuktun
language and heritage has nabbed her a national award for teaching
excellence.

Ipana, who teaches the Inuvialuktun immersion kindergarten class at
Sir Alexander Mackenzie School (SAMS), received the Prime Minister's
Award for Teaching Excellence on Oct. 5 in Ottawa. She has taught the
course since 1991 and engages the students with modern technology
while sharing with them their culture.

"I have a passion for the language and for the little children to get
a sense of heritage, where they come from and where they're going as
an Inuvialuit. I see them as my leaders," Ipana said. "I let them move
forward in the (21st) century, but let them not forget who they are as
a people. They remember who they are and be proud of who they are."

Access full article below:
http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/oct13_11tea.html