Teaching Oral Language via Technology

Mary Hermes mhermes at UMN.EDU
Fri Sep 2 16:38:09 UTC 2011

The Institute for Advanced Studies here is sponsoring a one day workshop between terms (so January, 2012)
for teachers who are trying to figure out how to use this software (Ojibwemodaa).
I will lead, and also use the opportunity  to help them switch toward oral proficiency,
as opposed to the written that many teachers use.  I can invite all of you, I think it is a free-bee,
 a good opportunity to put our heads together about using software to teach indigenous languages.

Basically, we are using unscripted conversations as our content.
There is a grammar reference built in (so grammar on demand) enough sentence patterns along with word by word
re-dictated flashcards to get a learning going in the direction of speaking. I think it is a step in the right direction.

Please do try the demo and let us know!
Much room for more to do.

Mary Hermes, PhD