=?windows-1252?Q?=91How_to_protect_our_language_s=92_?=(fwd l ink)

Anna Weil everyshadow at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 7 22:50:03 UTC 2011

I completely agree with the 'invasive species' metaphor. As someone
interested in language preservation who is also currently studying TEFL, I
have mixed feelings about the field - I'd like to get a job overseas and
teach, but I'd rather also learn whatever language is spoken wherever I go
than only promote mine. It seems to me that English is becoming a necessary
skill in our global world, so it is important that people learn it.
Economically, they might be better off being able to speak English. But they
must also understand the importance of their own language and find ways to
keep it alive as well. Shouldn't everyone be at least bilingual in this
world? We might all end up speaking English, but as long as the other
languages also remain alive I'm basically ok with that fact. The problem is,
other languages are dying out. We need more organizations like the Living
Tongues Institute encouraging speakers of minority languages to keep on
speaking, although that is not a final solution.

~Anna Weil