Berenstain Bears now speaking endangered language (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Thu Sep 15 21:34:53 UTC 2011

good insights there Rolland,
bloody glass slipper and all...(when visiting Grimms ... do as the
Grimms...)
but really thinking about the part where "correct words" used to interpret
some foreign concept into the peoples language
is still gibberish or word stacking because the indigenous paradigm for
seeing the world is sacrificed in the process.

What if every culture in the world was asked to write their word for "green"
?
well thats very problematic,as some of our concepts about *color* are VERY
different
and it would be meaningless to try to stack up a list of sounds to describe
an english equivalent for  "green" .

Why would we want a Berenstain Bear,now talking Portuguese ,now talking
Inupiat ,now talking Pashtun, now Wyandot,now Mandarin ?
We have our OWN BEAR stories! In fact we have some wonderful bear stories
and quite the characters too.
I use raccoon and fox puppets to teach children because they are in our
stories, and they are LOVED by the kids.
we didn't have to raid sesame street...we have our own!

there is a problem if we approach education as * "lets try to make it cool
to win kids" * because kids are smarter than that.
If whats being taught is *cool* to the teacher, and the teacher is *
passionate *about the subject and loves the kids, it becomes cool to the
students.
as a teen I hated it when grown-ups tried to act like my age group to "talk
on the same level" (gag) few of us wanted to stay on that level anyway...

-richard