Bears

Huang,Chun huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Sat Sep 17 15:19:04 UTC 2011

just to share a nicely done, and inexpensive, "animation" that
helps share traditional knowledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2gvsL4tsQ

If you're also interested
in the content, originally in Tagalog by Joey Ayala, below is a rough
"translation" (can't get all the spirits right, but helps
understanding), courtesy of Dr. Machel Malay:

in the song, the singer
talks to the sea turtle, saying, 'sea turtle, the old one, you carry
your home around with you, don't you have anywhere to put it, in the
land you grew up in? With the slapping of the waves, and the currents of
centuries, you still continue to crawl in the mud. And yet in the deep
ocean you glimpse your freedom, bobbing and diving into the deeps. O sea
turtle the old one, could you please teach me the way to make the heavy
[load] lighter?'.... then he compares the sea turtle's situation to his
own, asking 'sea turtle the old one, could we actually be kin? For even
though I have a home, I have no place to put it. The land I once knew is
full of fences, made even stronger by land titles and documents. O sea
turtle the old one, I do not understand, the land I came from is now a
property'...

And I also do much-much appreciate the original thread
where this one branched out of. Good to hear from Richard, Dr. Hardman,
and Uncle Rolland.

Jimmy

 now at DLSU-Manila

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011
08:07:01 -0700, Julian Lang wrote:

> There are several types of
animation. And there is a wide range of digital animation tools. So
there are many questions to be answered initially. How do you folks want
the animated story to look like exactly? Animated still images, cell
animation, stop-frame? What I've discovered about animation as a Native
language person and as an animator is that animation is incredibly labor
intensive. And it can easily be pricey, If you asked to animate all of
the stories, it can easily cost you 60K. Perhaps 1 at a time?
> Julian
Lang
> California
>
> -------------------------
> FROM: Claire Bowern

> TO: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
> SENT: Friday, September 16, 2011 7:04
AM
> SUBJECT: Re: [ILAT] Bears
>
> Hi Tammy,
> Bardi people at One Arm
Point have had success with children's stories for the local school by
having the children dress up and play the parts of the characters. The
older ones get involved as narrators and scene design and the younger
ones play the characters. They've acted out the stories at school
assemblies and videoed, and photos are taken which are then made into
books. It's certainly not the same as animation but everyone got really
into it, and it was lovely for the elders to see the stories come alive
with the kids. They were so pleased to see it.

2011, at 11:27 AM, Tammy DeCoteau wrote:

>> Mitakuyapi (My
relatives),

>> We have discussed this topic in our office and we
have mixed feelings about it.

>> In the drawer of my desk we have
ten stories our Treasured Elders made. Each story teaches a different
value (show respect, help others, etc.) and they feature a Turtle and a
Dragonfly. These are meant to be animated. Who knows, though, how long
those stories are going to sit in my desk drawer. Once I talked with an
animation company and do to a few minutes it was $60,000.00.

>> We
have always felt that anything in the language is beneficial. Perhaps it
will create the spark in someone to become passionate about their
language.