On Tribal Lands, Digital Divide Brings New Form Of Isolation (fwd link)

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Fri Apr 20 19:57:00 UTC 2012

hmmm... i don't know if i buy this

from the article* On Tribal Lands, Digital Divide Brings New Form Of
Isolation**:*
*
" Without reliable access to the Internet, many Native Americans find
themselves increasingly isolated, missing out on opportunities to secure
jobs, gain degrees through online classes, reach health care practitioners,
and even preserve native languages and rituals with new applications that
exploit the advantages of the web.
*
the first part may be true...but *its land remoteness that's helped KEEP
Dinéh bizaad alive* much longer than our
smaller tribes that have been completely surrounded by outsider influences
from the 1700s.

a long drive out of Dinétah (Navajoland) to find internet access to learn
the Navajo language
is too much like a Vietnamese traveling to Scotland to study Vietnamese
Languages.

ahh....what i would give for 200 years of such isolation for OUR people....
and just to be free of all the redneck influences here swallowing them

sometimes I long for the lovely isolation of Dinétah

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte Oklahoma

--
*

"Think not forever of yourselves... nor of your own generation.

Think of continuing generations of our families,

think of our grandchildren and of those yet unborn,

whose faces are coming from beneath the ground."             The Peacemaker,

 richardzanesmith.wordpress.com

**

**

*