Alaska Native languages: It all comes down to choices (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Apr 26 21:46:11 UTC 2012

Alaska Native languages: It all comes down to choices

By XH'UNEI, LANCE A. TWITCHELL
FOR THE JUNEAU EMPIRE
USA

Linguists have been predicting the death of Alaska Native languages for
decades now, and whether or not those predictions prove accurate comes down
to the choices you and I make on a daily basis. The past 200 years have
been devastating; from boarding schools to disease to social
discriminations, we are now left with the aftermath of successful attempts
to destroy languages and cultures. But that does not mean we have to resign
our efforts or just allow this to happen. In fact, it leaves us all with a
tremendous amount of power and the decision is right here before us: speak
now or let it go forever.

Access full article below:
http://juneauempire.com/art/2012-04-26/alaska-native-languages-it-all-comes-down-choices