Blackfeet oil & gas exploration

Rrlapier at AOL.COM Rrlapier at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 29 18:19:57 UTC 2012

Blackfeet ask for more openness about oil, gas exploration
By  TRISTAN SCOTT of missoulian.com | Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012

(http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/a8/9a835a7a-6a51-11e1-b53b-001871e3ce6c/4f5ab05b7cc1d.i
mage.jpg)
KURT WILSON/Missoulian
An oil drilling worker walks out of a rig working near Starr School on the
Blackfeet Reservation, where about 80 wells have been permitted in the past
two  years. One estimate says the reservation sits on top of about 109
million  barrels of oil and 8.6 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

BROWNING – Speaking to an uncomprehending group of federal and tribal land
managers, Diane Calflooking Burd delivered an impassioned and articulate
entreaty in her native Blackfeet language.
Then, after a long pause, she drove her point home in English.
“That’s how all this technical language from the oil companies sounds to
us,”  she said. “We need an interpreter, because they don’t tell us nothing.”

Calflooking Burd was among several dozen tribal members who gathered last
week in a conference room at the Bureau of Indian Affairs building in
Browning  to learn more about oil and gas exploration on the Blackfeet
Reservation. The  meeting was arranged by the Bureau of Land Management and BIA, with
the purpose  of informing tribal members who have leased portions of their
allotted land to  energy companies for oil and gas exploration.
*****
Calflooking Burd and other stakeholders called for more  transparency from
energy companies and better communication and outreach from  the BIA and the
BLM, which oversee mineral leases on the reservation.
“They have an obligation to the people,” said Debbie White Grass Bullshoe,
 whose elderly family members have holdings on the reservation. “If I’m
going to  help my mom sign, I want to know we’re in for. We need to be better
educated  before we decide to sign. These oil companies wouldn’t be here
without us.”
Meanwhile, across the street at the Blackfeet Community College, an event
called “Our Land, Our Future” featured musician Jack Gladstone, an enrolled
 member of the Blackfeet Tribe and a popular singer and songwriter. He
performed  songs like “Fossil Fuel Sinner” and condemned the practice of
hydraulic  fracturing oil wells, calling it an “uncontrolled experiment” with
potentially  devastating consequences.
The juxtaposition of events highlighted two prevailing views about drilling
 on the reservation – while an oil boom would be a financial windfall for
an  impoverished tribe desperate for jobs and financial resources, it could
also  undermine the land’s natural resources and cultural significance.
“When we accept the wealth, we also are destined to accept the liabilities
and the hazards, and that is the concern,” Gladstone said.
*****
Three oil companies – Anschutz Exploration Corp., Rosetta  Resources and
Newfield Exploration Co. – are currently leading oil and gas  exploration on
the reservation, and have meted out nearly $30 million in  one-time bonus
payments and annual rental agreements to the tribal government  and individuals
holding mineral rights, according to Grinnell Day Chief, the  tribe’s
director of oil and gas.
The Blackfeet Reservation is part of the Bakken Shale formation, which is
known for the oil boom sweeping North Dakota and eastern Montana. Known to
geologists as the Montana Thrust Belt, the reservation’s western edge is
thought  to hold significant oil and natural gas reserves, and the companies
are looking  to replicate their success in North Dakota – a prospect that has
garnered mixed  reactions.
“This is my piece of the pie,” said George Calf Tail, a tribal member who
receives dividends on numerous leases, and who stands to earn 23 percent
royalties on producing wells if oil is recovered. “This is good for us, but
the  tribe has to regulate and control the development. Just look at North
Dakota.  You have the dregs of society transforming communities into evil
places. We  don’t want that.”
Calf Tail was referring to the spike in crimes that has coincided with the
booming oil production across Montana’s Northern Plains, where tens of
thousands  of workers are converging on the rural region.
Calf Tail, who is running for the Blackfeet Tribal Council, said he
believes  responsible development will occur only if tribal members stay informed
and  exercise their rights.
“People don’t have a lot of information, so I’m happy for this turnout
today,” he said.
*****
Unemployment among reservation residents hovers around 70  percent, and the
revenue from mineral interests has been used to boost  dividend payments to
approximately 16,500 enrolled tribal members.
If the oil and gas exploration is successful and wells go into production,
royalties are set at 20 percent and the tribe stands to reap substantial
benefits.
“I know the potential of my land. I could have a good monthly income off
one  lease alone,” Calf Tail said.
The four-hour meeting also featured lengthy discussions on how Indian
mineral  royalties are managed and distributed, as well as a presentation on “
Hydraulic  Fracturing 101.”
Barney Whiteman, a petroleum engineer for the BLM’s Great Falls Oil and Gas
 Field Office, explained the science behind hydraulic fracturing – fracking
– a  controversial extraction process in which hundreds of thousands of
gallons of  water, sand and chemicals are injected into wells to create cracks
and fissures  to draw out oil and gas deposits.
Whiteman said the BLM’s role before approving a well site is to ensure that
 the wells are properly designed and that the operator will dispose of the
“flowback” fluid in underground injection sites.
Between 420,000 and 630,000 gallons of water are required to frack each
site,  he said, and chemicals make up 2 percent of the fracking fluid. The
highest  potential for environmental hazards occurs above ground, he said. About
40  percent of the flowback fluid surges back to the surface and must be
collected  and transported to an injection site.
Still, the integrity of the well can’t be ensured, and in the event of an
earthquake or fault slip, “all bets are off,” Whiteman said.
“We can’t say that it’s safe. I don’t think anyone can say it’s safe,”
he  said.
And that, Gladstone said, is precisely what worries him.
“We’re not approaching this whole thing with caution, we are stepping on
the  accelerator into the fog,” he said. “My concern and the concern of
other people  is that from time immemorial our land has been nurtured and now
that is  seriously imperiled.”
Flathead Valley Bureau reporter Tristan Scott can be reached at (406)
730-1067 or at _tscott at missoulian.com_ (mailto:tscott at missoulian.com) .

_Copyright 2012  missoulian.com. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published,  broadcast, rewritten or  redistributed._
(http://missoulian.com/app/terms/)