Language teachers slam system (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Aug 1 22:30:03 UTC 2012

Language teachers slam system

INADEQUATE:Teachers say they are not able to teach Taiwanese languages
properly because the government is simply not giving them enough money
and resources

By Loa Iok-sin  /  Staff reporter
Taiwan

Citing a lack of resources, finances, and certified teachers and
materials, teachers of the country’s native languages — including
Hoklo (also known as Taiwanese), Hakka and Aboriginal languages —
yesterday accused the government of not putting enough efforts into
native-language education.

“It’s been 10 years since we started the nationwide mother-tongue
education program, but I don’t see it getting any better. Instead,
it’s moving backwards,” Taiwan Mother Language Teachers’ Association
chairman Huang Hsiu-jen (黃修仁) said at a public hearing hosted by
Democratic Progressive Party legislators Wu Ping-jui (吳秉叡) and Chen
Ou-po (陳歐珀) on native-language education at the Legislative Yuan
yesterday.

Access full article below:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/08/02/2003539260