It's now or never, and never is right around the corner (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Aug 2 19:50:24 UTC 2012

It's now or never, and never is right around the corner
*Posted:* August 2, 2012 - 12:02am

   - Photos<http://juneauempire.com/art/2012-08-02/its-now-or-never-and-never-right-around-corner>
   - Video<http://juneauempire.com/art/2012-08-02/its-now-or-never-and-never-right-around-corner>

*Xhát – me (independent first person pronoun)*

*Uháan – us (independent first person plural pronoun)*
By XH'UNEI LANCE A.
TWITCHELL<http://juneauempire.com/authors/xhunei-lance-twitchell-4>
FOR THE JUNEAU EMPIRE

I keep a list of known Tlingit speakers. It is from an informal survey done
by colleagues working in the language, and needs some help to stay
complete. If you can speak and understand Tlingit, or know someone who
does, please let me know so I can keep the list up to date. We almost got
up to 200 people when we began to run out of names of known speakers. Then
I realized a terrible problem: maintaining the list is an act of
subtraction and not addition.

As a region, we need to continue to grapple with the realities of language
death and act accordingly. This is not something to fear. It would be
understandable to think that saving a language is too daunting of a task,
but the reality is that revitalizing our language is really just an act of
returning to what we are supposed to be. It is like a fish returning to the
water, breathing and living once again.

Access full article below:

http://juneauempire.com/art/2012-08-02/its-now-or-never-and-never-right-around-corner