unsubscribe

Margaret Carew margaret.carew at BATCHELOR.EDU.AU
Tue Aug 7 00:26:45 UTC 2012

________________________________
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU] on behalf of Phillip E Cash Cash [cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU]
Sent: Monday, 6 August 2012 3:19 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: [ILAT] Aboriginal desert reserve bigger than Tasmania (fwd link)

Aboriginal desert reserve bigger than Tasmania
By:AAP with AG Staff | July-11-2012

A new Indigenous Protected Area in the NT is the largest piece of land ever put aside for conservation in Australia.

[Yinpaka or Lake Surprise is an area of high cultural and biological significance. (Credit: Central Land Council)]
Yinpaka or Lake Surprise is an area of high cultural and biological significance. (Credit: Central Land Council)

ABORIGINAL PEOPLE FROM the Tanami Desert in Central Australia are celebrating after the government signed off on the creation of a conservation area larger than Tasmania to be managed by indigenous<http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/article-index.htm?tags=indigenous+australia> rangers.

At a ceremony in the remote outback location of Sangsters Bore, about 600km northwest of Alice Springs in the Northern Territory<http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/exploreaustralia/nt/>, dozens of traditional owners were on hand to welcome the move.

"Today is an emotional day. Today really a freedom day," said Eddie Jampijinpa Robertson, a Warlpiri elder from Yuendumu, on Tuesday. "When we look after the land, it is what our Dreaming is."

Access full article below:

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/tanami-desert-indigenous-reserve-bigger-than-tasmania.htm